What is Battle of the Books?
It’s a friendly competition that resembles the television program made popular in the “” – Reach for the Top. Students from a majority of the Board’s elementary schools volunteer to read up to 10 books – and then to take part in the game-show style comprehension and memory quiz. The results are prepared the same day, and students seem to appreciate the chance to play. For some, less eager readers, the challenge prompts them to engage in a meaninful and goal-orienced competition.
For information, watch this website throughout the winter.
Read about last year’s results here.
2009-2010 Battle of the Books Lists
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl
- The Game of Silence, by Louise Ardrich
- Blown Away, by Joan Hiatt Harlow
- The Kite Fighter, by Linda Sue Park
- The Secret of Platform 13, by Eva Ibbitson
- The Magic Half, by Annie Barrows
- Among the Hidden, by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Bunnicula, by James Howe
- The Lemonade War, by Jacqueline Davies
- Hoot, by Carl Hiassen
- The Giver, by Lois Lowry
- Full Tilt, by Neal Shusterman
- Witch of Blackbird Pond, by Elizabeth George Spears
- Flush, by Carl Hiassen
- Alexandria of Africa, by Eric Walters
- Airborn, by Kenneth Oppel
- Raven’s Gate, by Anthony Horowitz
- Stolen Voices, by Ellen Dee Davidson
- My Name is Seepeetza, by Shirley Sterling
- Dear Canada: The Death of My Country, by Maxine Trottier